- Your Access U registration includes breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snacks.
- Accommodations are at the Wyndham Garden Inn, just one mile east of the conference.
- If you’re coming from the hotel, the shuttle will drop you off at the conference location and if you’re driving, there will be signs at the entrances to St. Edward’s university.
- For those of you staying at the Wyndham Garden Inn, the shuttle will run starting at 7:15 AM and will operate every 20 minutes. The shuttle will also operate at the duration of each conference day every 20 minutes beginning at 5:00 PM.
- Conference Location: Enter at the St. Edward’s Campus off Woodward Street.
- Parking is open in all lots on campus except the “Orange” lot which is directly behind the Carriage House. This is a special pay lot and you will get towed if you park there.
- Registration begins at 8:00 a.m. Ragsdale will not be open until 8:00 a.m.
- All AccessU classes are held in Trustee Hall.
- Check your emails each morning for AccessU updates and notices.
Don’t miss the Heroes of Accessibility awards!
Knowbility’s 3rd annual Community Heroes of Accessibility Awards will be held on tonightin the Driskill hotel‘s Victorian room. Please join us to celebrate those who advocate for equal access for all! Drinks and hors d’oeuvres will be served. Honorees will be announced at 6:30 p.m.
Don’t miss the AccessU 2017 Happy Hour Pub Crawl on Global Accessibility Awareness Day 2017 (GAAD), May 18th. It costs $20 per ticket.
We’re introducing a new class format this year — BYO laptop or mobile device! This format will be used in classes that have exercises or demos but that don’t require you to load special software. Please go to the Knowbility website and read the descriptions of the classes you’re planning to attend.
For “Class Type,” if “BYO laptop” or “BYO mobile device” is indicated, bring your laptop or mobile to class. Note that there will be free wifi at St. Edward’s so no issues getting online.
AccessU 2017 Theme: “Empathy in Leadership”
This year Knowbility will explore the many aspects of digital inclusion, work to understand the various roles that need skills, and identify the tools available to build and maintain successful accessibility initiatives. We’re excited to welcome Rich Schwerdtfeger, Knowbility Board Chairman, former CTO Accessibility for IBM Software as this year’s keynote speaker, who will discuss the merits of empathetic leadership.
Need an interpreter or need any special accommodations during AccessU?
Please email Jessica Looney at email@example.com
First time visiting Austin? During your stay you may want to check out some of the local flavor. Here are some of our suggestions:
- South Congress Avenue. There you will find the oldest bar in Austin, “Continental Club” – enjoy listening country live music and watching the locals dance: 1315 S Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78704-2432 (1.4 miles from St. Edward’s University)
- Texas State Capitol in Downtown Austin – Guided tours are available and it’s accessible for people with disabilities: http://www.tspb.state.tx.us/plan/access/access.html (3.3 miles from St. Edward’s University)
Parks and Recreation:
- Lady Bird Lake (2.2 miles from St. Edward’s University)
- Barton Springs Pool (2.3 miles from St. Edward’s University)
- Zilker Metropolitan Park (2.3 miles from St. Edward’s University)
Restaurants and bars:
- Magnolia Cafe South, 1920 S Congress Ave (0.9 miles from St. Edward’s University). Great comfort food from an extensive menu of well-prepared and locally-sourced items. Breakfast served any time.
- Hopdoddy, 1400 South Congress Avenue Ste A190 (1.3 miles from St. Edward’s University). Our famous burger place in Austin!
- South Congress Cafe, 1600 S Congress Ave (1.2 miles from St. Edward’s University). Their Carrot Cake French Toast is unbelievable…
Twitter info: AccessU 2017 will be promoted on Twitter and we will use #AccessU2017
We have been working with Guidebook to improve accessibility of their conference app but are a bit behind schedule. With that in mind, Knowbility will rely on our website and will not be using an app for John Slatin AccessU 2017. Next year we expect to have an app that will meet all needs. Thanks for hanging in there with us.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Jessica Looney at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 512-527-3138 ext 103
AccessU 2017 Sponsors