Make a difference and build a career where you make technology available to everyone. At Knowbility, you can help create a world where technology is available to all – including people with disabilities. Work with the world’s leading experts in the web and software accessibility fields as we help users across the globe build better solutions for the largest possible audience.
Community Program and Events Manager
Knowbility is seeking a Community Program & Events Manager to provide leadership in the planning, coordination, and evaluation of Knowbility’s marquee community and fundraising events and programs: OpenAIR, AccessU, Knowbility Accessibility Leadership Symposium (KALS) and Community Heroes of Accessibility. These are a mix of online and onsite programs and events. The position is based in Austin, Texas and reports to the Communications and Development Director.
The essential task of this position is to collaborate closely with the Communications and Development Director to produce high quality community programs and events that serve Knowbility’s mission of ensuring equal access to technology opportunities for people with disabilities.
To apply for this position, send and email stating your interest to CommEventsManager@knowbility.org and please attach a cover letter and your resume.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Direct all elements of Knowbility community programs and events, including planning, implementation, training, and evaluation of community programs and events from concept to completion smoothly, efficiently, and to generate maximum revenue and exposure.
• Consult and advise the Communications and Development Director regarding all content creation, marketing functions, partnership cultivation and fundraising activities. Coordinate production and distribution of print materials for sponsor/and participant’s solicitations.
• Work with various committee chairs to ensure activities meet the mission of Knowbility and are of the highest quality.
• Provide ongoing leadership, support and coaching to employees, consultants and volunteers, including advisory committee members; identify and distribute tasks among these team members as appropriate; and keep members on task to ensure high quality and strong community partnerships for Knowbility’s community programs and events.
• Work with Knowbility executive leadership, employees, consultants and volunteers, including advisory committee members to:
1. Monitor and evaluate all community programs and events, to identify trends and changing needs, and to recommend, plan and implement program changes.
2. Cultivate and maintain good working relationships and cooperative arrangements with corporations and other businesses, government programs, community groups and others to assure ongoing coordination of and support for Knowbility community programs and events.
3. Create individual program and event budgets and oversee their management, including tracking expenses and communicating needs to the Board of Directors and advisory groups
4. Assure development, documentation and maintenance of guidelines, systems, procedures and materials necessary to support effective delivery of Knowbility community programs and events.
5. Assure quality supervision of and support for the day-to-day operations of the Knowbility community programs and events. Assure that all functions are carried our according to established procedures and guidelines.
6. Develop media, marketing materials, announcements, photo opportunities and other outreach needs, and look for ways to increase community awareness of Knowbility, its community programs and events, and accessibility.
• Clearly articulate and promote a strong case for philanthropy in support of Knowbility community programs and events.
• Recruit, support, manage and coordinate volunteers for community programs and special events.
• Create or oversee the creation by others of web content, supporting documents and meeting minutes.
• For onsite events, coordinate or oversee the coordination of guest lists, food service arrangements, menu planning, decorative and table set up, name tags and volunteer support as needed.
• Degree in a related field, such as Marketing, Public or Community Relations, Nonprofit Management, Business Administration, or Event Planning), and at least one year of experience in special events planning, preferably in the not-for-profit or government sector.
• Demonstrated success in program management and event planning.
• Demonstrated excellence in managing complex programs and projects and the ability to work well independently on several projects concurrently.
• Demonstrated ability to work with team members online, leading meetings and presentations, working with remote staff, and ensuring team members have access to up-to-date, essential information.
• Versatility, flexibility, and enthusiasm to work in a dynamic working environment that is a mix of onsite and online interactions and activities.
• Experience in cultivating partnerships and attracting sponsorships.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Outstanding organizational skills.
• Software proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point; knowledge and experience in the Salesforce database program is preferred.
• Strong initiative and customer service orientation and excellent communications skills.
• Demonstrated high energy level and flexibility, pleasant persona coupled with sound judgment.
• Strong interest in digital accessibility. Accessibility experience is preferred but not required.
Student Internship Program
Knowbility’s Student Internship Program provides eligible students the opportunity to work in various roles within an entrepreneurial nonprofit environment. Knowbility is an Austin Technology Incubator company and there are numerous opportunities for networking with other technology start-ups every day. Student interns will be given opportunities to link theory with practice, gain real-world public sector experience, and develop specialized skills that cannot be taught in the classroom. Learn more about this opportunity and how to apply! (*College credit may be available)
Knowbility is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.